How do you pick your food for the week?
Since we meal plan, this is usually done Sunday or Monday and goes a little something like this…
How much time do I have to meal plan? Tons…let’s look through books and pinterest and find some fun new things to try. None…and it’s back to the the usual turkey tacos and crockpot chicken.
After that, it’s on to…What do we have in the house? What have we not eaten in awhile?
And then most importantly…What can I do Monday for the week ahead? What meat will last until later in the week? And, how much time do we have each night to make dinner? On my late nights, I get home close to 8 (tonight it was 8:45!) so the answer is no time. Other nights, I’m home closer to 7, so there is time to throw something together. Question is…do I want to?!
I’m lucky because the BOY is into cooking and super helpful in the kitchen (unless you include putting his dishes in the dishwasher). Ha ha!
It’s easy to make Tuesday’s dinner on Monday in the crockpot because the flavors are usually even better the next day and I typically have leftovers for lunch on Wednesday. Which is exactly what I did this week…
This recipe is an exciting version of 2 Ingredient Chicken. Super easy and VERY flavorful! I almost didn’t get this post out to you tonight and certainly didn’t get to take any pictures due to the late arrival home.
So you’ll just have to trust me that this makes a great and versatile make ahead dinner and give it a try yourself!
Meal Planning 2/15/16
Monday: Island Pork Tenderloin
Tuesday: Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
Wednesday: Sausage and Veggies
Thursday: Take Out Something
Friday: Fish and Veggies
What are you eating this week?
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
From Carls Bad Cravings
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup mild salsa (medium if you like spicy)
- 1 4 oz. can mild green chilies
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- hot sauce to taste
- Rub chicken breasts with oil and place in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the hot sauce. Cook on high for 2-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken is tender enough to shred.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board, and let rest 5 minutes before shredding (there will be liquid remaining). Return shredded chicken and let cook on low for an additional 20 minutes to absorb some of the liquid/juices. Drain all excess liquid. Taste and add hot sauce to taste if desired.
See Website for Notes!