1. THE BLOG
So although I have blogged a bit less this year, I am still blogging. Why does this matter? It came time to renew my domain and despite the fact that blogging does not play as big of a role in my day to day life, I seem to like it enough to sign back up without thinking twice about it. Speaking of blogging…I do need to update a few pages. Perhaps that will be part of my 2016 goals.
Speaking of the year ahead…I took the easy way out last week with 2 Ingredient Chicken, but between the BOY and I and all our new kitchen toys, I think we will have more new and unique recipes on LWYD this year. I am already loving this Cleansing Carrot Ginger Soup (topped with raisins…Mmm!). This week, I also made turkey meatballs. Believe it or not I didn’t use my crockpot (it was busy), so I used my other favorite kitchen tool.
I should admit that there are people who were made to make meatballs and then there is me. Have you ever seen meatballs so not round?! Thankfully, they tasted amazing (even though I left out the bread crumbs).
Tuesday morning, I was running circles around the track again watching the cold, miserable snow through the windows. Thank goodness for Serial to keep me company! I am all caught up and already downloaded a bunch of podcasts for our trip.
Brrr! Baby…it’s cold outside!
Thankfully, it’s getting REALLY close to honeymoon time…
Sunshine, here we come!!! I’ve ordered us TONS of sunscreen, water shoes, snorkels, and more in prep for the big trip which is less than a week away.
He is just so darn cute! Except when he lays on your face in the middle of the night : )
What’s on your mind today?
Crockpot Turkey Meatballs
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound 97-98% lean ground turkey1
- 1 pound 92-93% lean ground turkey1
- 2/3 cup (40g) Panko (I omitted this)
- 3 Tablespoons (45ml) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (22g) grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large onion sweet onion, sliced
- two 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- Beat the egg in a large mixing bowl. Add the ground turkey, Panko, 2 Tablespoons olive oil, parmesan, garlic, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Mix everything up just so the ingredients are combined – avoid overmixing. Roll into desired size balls – mine were slightly larger than a golfball. Place all rolled meatballs on a large baking sheet.
- Place onion slices in the bottom of the crockpot, topped with 1 can of crushed tomatoes.
- Coat a large skillet with remaining Tablespoon of olive oil and bring to medium-high heat. Lightly brown the meatballs (only 6-8 meatballs at a time) for about 1 minute on each side. Do not skip this step – read above for why. Layer the meatballs into the crockpot as you’re browning each batch. Once all browned meatballs have been added to the crockpot, pour remaining can of tomatoes on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-6.5 hours. Serve with pasta, as meatball subs, plain, etc. No matter how I serve them, I always top with a little chopped fresh basil. Store leftovers covered tightly in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Sally has a ton of notes, including how to make this without the crockpot like I did, so check them out!