OMG! Where did this weekend go?
It was a fun one but a fast one. Thank goodness for Mondays or I’d get nothing done!
The weekend started early Saturday morning with a couples workout…followed by our weekly trip to Target (in the same shopping center as the gym). When we got home, I made another amazing Apple Pie Protein Shake. This time I added in fresh cider which made it even better. Before I left for the gym, I set out some butter (hidden on top of the fridge from Cooper who loves the stuff).
Last week, I was sad not to have the right ingredients to make these mouth watering bars, hence the morning trip to Target.
While the BOY rested, I got to work in the kitchen! After our workout, my arms were a bit sore, so I probably should have used my big mixer instead of my hand mixer : )
I followed the recipe as written except that I added in a few peanut butter chips (because I had them in the pantry). These bars looked and smelled incredible, and it was tough to let them cool before diving in. I kept myself busy cleaning bowls and reusing them for a batch of soft oatmeal raisin cookies (recipe to come). I have to say, it is SO fun to use all my new kitchen tools and gadgets. Even the measuring cups make me smile!
The BOY and I had noon Spectre tickets and no set plan for lunch. Last minute, we decided to swing by one of our favorite restaurants (Coppers Hawk)which is in the same mall as the fancy movie theater. We had a fantastic lunch and of course a glass of wine. We raced over the the theater only to discover our movie was at 12:15. This gave us plenty of time to get cozy in the reclining chairs and order another glass of wine. We love this theater!
The movie was good, but no Skyfall! We decided that a nap was in order and came home and climbed into bed. We woke up 2 hours later with Cooper curled up between the two of us, happy as can be. We had Saturday night plans at my sister in laws and got home just before midnight crashing back into bed.
As for the rest of the weekend…to be continued!
I have a few new and different recipes to share and plan to spread them out a bit. But I can tell that this one is already a favorite! It makes a huge batch which is perfect for sharing with enough to freeze for later, so I have been sharing it with everyone this weekend!
No Flour Monster Cookie Bars
From Together As Family
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups quick oats
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-2 cups mini m&m’s
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips (or 1/2 cup PB chips and 1/2 cup chocolate chips)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a cookie sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, peanut butter, and butter. With a hand-held blender, mix until pale in color and combined.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Blend together.
- Add in the oats and baking soda. With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, mix by hand until combined.
- Add in the m&m’s and chocolate chips (reserve some for top of bars if wanted). Stir together well until combined.
- Dump onto your parchment lined cookie sheet and spread out. I recommend spraying your hands with cooking spray to work the dough into the pan. Sprinkle the reserved m&m’s and chocolate chips on top (if wanted). Press down slightly into dough.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. The edges will be lightly browned and the middle will still look pale and underdone, but it will finish baking as it cools. Let cool for at least an hour so the bars can firm up and come together. You do not want to over-bake these.