Did I tell you about the time before the wedding when I called the BOY at work and said in my most dramatic voice that I had ‘Very bad news’? His mind immediately went to our family, ‘Is everyone okay?’ and then to the wedding ‘Did the DJ quit?’
No, I told him with continued sadness. My crockpot is broken…
Obviously, he laughed at me and told me that he had to go back to work, not quite experiencing or appreciating my level of pain.
But my pain was real, and I had no idea what to do with my cracked crockpot base?! Of course, I used it to make my planned chili and then sent off an email to All Clad having no idea what they’d say. They responded immediately requesting more information and pictures.
I showed them the damage with a heart felt plea to help (I mean this isn’t that old of a crockpot) and the day before the wedding got the most unexpected gift…an email stating a new liner would be on it’s way in 10-14 days. I happily returned from Door County to find my new crockpot base and immediately unpacked it, washed it, and put it to work.
All of this fall weather had me craving tortilla soup, so I found this recipe on my way back from Wisconsin and was ready to pick up ingredients when we stopped at the store. Unfortunately, I forgot to get a new container of chicken broth.
Fortunately, I had about 2 cups left in my fridge. I made a few changes to the original recipe (no corn, a little extra chicken, and the broth situation), and was floored with how flavorful this hearty soup turned out.
I ate it for lunch this week with a farm fresh sweet potato and smothered in avocado…Mmm! And then the BOY and I had it for dinner tonight. He raved about the flavor and I am bummed that I don’t have a better picture for you. But I guess a picture won’t really show you how tasty this soup is so you’ll just have to trust me and try it for yourselves! Happy Fall Friday!
More Fall Favorites
Thank goodness for my new crockpot liner…
What’s your favorite fall soup?
What kitchen appliance would you be most upset about breaking?
Tortilla Chicken Soup
Adapted Slightly From Skinny Mom
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used 1 1/2)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 15-ounce can reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- Two, 10-ounce cans Ro*Tel® Original Mile Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 4.5-ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1-ounce less sodium taco seasoning
- 32-ounces Pacific® Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth (I only used 16 ounces)
- *Optional toppings like cheese, tortilla strips, or avocado
- Place the chicken on the bottom of slow cooker, sprayed with cooking spray.
- Add the onion, black beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, green chilies, taco seasoning, and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and mix well.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and, garnish with optional toppings.