This week, I busted out the cookbooks. Not intentionally, but it started with one and then another, and then a third followed. And the next thing you know, I had a pile of cookbooks, dinner in the crockpot, and a smoothie in hand. Success!
It helped to have all of our new kitchen gear! For dinner, I went with a new recipe from a tried and true cookbook 150 Healthiest Slow Cooker Recipes on Earth. I used some of my new knife skills to dice the onion.
Then topped it with chicken thighs and sauce. I don’t typically cook with thighs but figured I would give it a chance. Costco has some deals on organic chicken, so I picked up the thighs instead of breasts.
Once the chicken was ready to go, I was eager for a snack. Enter cookbook number 2! The new Everyday Detox book from Detoxinista. I recently purchased this one in an attempt to aid my digestion and IBS. I find the concept of food combining very interesting and like that the recipes are simple and clean.
My first recipe was the Blended Apple Pie a la Mode. I subbed in almond butter for the avocado which kept the filling fat and kind of went against the food combing, but it turned out delicious! Sadly, I lost the picture on my phone along with a few others…total bummer! I did capture dinner, which turned out flavorful and delicious!
The last cookbook I used was the BetterHomes Baking book. I’ve had a zucchini bread recipe tagged in there and a few zucchini’s ripe and ready for peeling in the fridge. But you’ll have to wait on that recipe!
Until then…sweet ice cream dreams : )
Do you use cookbooks or the internet for your recipes?
Lower Sugar BBQ Pulled Chicken Thighs
From The 150 Healthiest Slow Cooker Recipes on Earth
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar free ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sucanat
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the ketchup, tomato paste, cider vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Sucanat, garlic, paprika, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Make a layer of onion on the bottom of the slow cooker, sprayed with cooking spray. Lay chicken thighs over the onion and pour the sauce evenly over everything.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours, until chicken is cooked but juicy. Using two large forks, pull apart the chicken and finely shred the meat and stir well to mix with the sauce.
- Can serve in taco’s, with a potato, or over slaw.
Blended Apple Pie a la Mode
From Everyday Detox
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 raw avocado or 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- 3 soft medjool dates
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Handful of ice cubes
Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy! Enjoy immediately!