My 5 days of ‘vacation’ have come to an end. I was happy to catch up on sleep, catch up with friends, and catch up on my DVR!
Yesterday, the BOY and I did our grocery shopping for the week. He informed me (as I was making our meal plan) that he is ‘all chickened out’. I had overbought on the chicken for Friday night’s dinner, so I decided to use it for lunch this week.
I found a fantastic looking recipe that used almost every spice in my cabinet. I placed it in the crockpot and a few hours later, the smell had the BOY asking about what was in the crockpot. I told him chicken : )
The recipe says to serve this chicken with BBQ sauce, but I must say that I will be eating it plain served with a sweet potato and sprouts. YUM! Even though the BOY is all chickened out, he has been eyeing this too!
Add this to your MUST TRY in 2015 list!
Meal Planning 1/04/14
Sunday: Leftovers and Kale Chips
Monday: Chicken Curry
Tuesday: BBQ Pork Chops and Broccoli
Wednesday: Taco Wednesday
Lunch: Island Pulled Chicken
Slow Cooker Island Pulled Chicken
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 and ½ teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 and ½ teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 and ½ teaspoons thyme
- 1 and ½ teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 and ½ teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet or hot paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice (I used apple juice with some cinnamon stirred in)
- In a small bowl combine onion powder, garlic powder, cloves, ginger, allspice, thyme, dry mustard, salt, paprika, cumin, sugar, black pepper and cayenne. Use fingers to rub spices together to ensure that ginger is dispersed throughout. Rub spice mixture all over chicken breasts.
- Put chicken in the slow cooker. Pour apple cider over to cover.
- Cook on low for 6 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker. Use two forks to shred meat. Drizzle a few tablespoons of the remaining liquid over the meat and mix to combine.
- Serve with your favorite BBQ sauce, cilantro or scallions.