Chicago race season starts this weekend!
Hooray for running and 312 beer!
Although many Chicagoans shy away from this monstrosity of a race (I think 40,000 people register), I am embracing it! Tomorrow I am going to hit up the expo at Navy Pier and then Sunday is the post race party. Since I have Cubs opening day tickets on Monday, I will be crashing at my brothers for a few nights (without my computer). As he pointed out, I am having an atypical race weekend with a friend’s Saturday night party and a weekend full of festivities. Sounds like fun…right?
In honor of the start of race season, I thought it would be fun to share some information about my first race of the year…
Random Facts About the Shamrock Shuffle
- This is the 34th annual Shamrock Shuffle
- Professionals love this flat course…U.S. Olympian Lisa Uhl will lace up her racing shoes for her first competition in Chicago this weekend
- It is the country’s largest 8k race
- The race sold out for the 9th straight year in a row
- 57.9 percent of the field is female, meaning there are about 6,200 more women running than men.
- The average age of female runners is 34 years old (don’t I feel young?)
- Aurora is the Chicago suburb with the highest number of participants
- The race starts and finishes in the same location as the Chicago Marathon
This is my second year running the shuffle. The first time was in 2011 when I finished the 8k race in 39.17. I’m not so sure that I will be beating that time this year, but I do know it will be one exciting weekend! I’ll check back in with ya’ll soon!
Anyone else braving the crowds and running this weekend?
What is your first race this season?