After 3 days of saltines, my appetite came back with a vengeance tonight! When I got home tonight, I was happy to find this clean meal from The Kind Diet book waiting for me in the fridge.
This was the first recipe that I tried from the book, and I must say, I was not disappointed.
The fresh roasted veggies are perfect for this light, yet hardy meal!
Add in some whole wheat couscous.
And seasoned veggie broth…sadly though, as mentioned before, I was unable to find saffron, so I subbed ins some other spices. I think it will be MUCH better with the saffron, but is still worth making without it.
And then you just have to wait…
For this delicious dish to be ready.
It makes a healthy side or a filling meal.
And I knew just where to go for a little something sweet…the freezer is full of treats!
Recipe from Alicia Silverstone
- 2 cup(s) of peeled butternut squash, cut into 1/4” to 1/2” cubes
- 2 cup(s) of yellow onion, large dice
- 1 1/2 cup(s) of carrots, cut into 1/4” to 1/2” cubes
- 1 1/2 cup(s) of zucchini, cut into 3/4” cubes
- 2 tbsp. of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. of fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup(s) of vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. of Earth Balance butter
- 1/4 tsp. of ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. of saffron threads
- 1 1/2 cup(s) of whole wheat couscous
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the squash, onion, carrots and zucchini on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, turning once with a spatula about midway through.
- While the vegetables roast, bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a saucepan.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the butter, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, cumin, saffron and salt to taste.
- Cover the pan and steep for 15 minutes.
- Scrape the roasted vegetables and their juices into a large bowl, and add the couscous.
- Bring the vegetable broth back to a boil, and pour over the couscous mixture all at once.
- Cover tightly with a plate and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Add the scallions, toss the couscous and vegetables with a fork, and serve.